Storage is an essential part of any home, keeping your clothing and accessories neat and tidy, yet out of sight. However, just because it performs a crucial role, doesn’t mean our storage solutions can’t be as beautiful as they are functional. At Spaceworks Design, we pride ourselves on creating stunning built in and walk in wardrobes to suit both your personal taste and your lifestyle. If you’re considering having custom robes built inyour home, these ideas are definitely worth considering.
Select a Style
The first thing you need to decide on when designing a beautiful robe is choosing the style that suits your space. This essentially comes down to whether a built in or walk in wardrobe is the most appropriate choice for your home.
- Built In: Similar to a cupboard, a built in wardrobe is designed to fit seamlessly inside the wall, often extending from floor to ceiling – becoming part of your home, rather than part of the furniture, and adding value to your property.
- Walk In: A walk in wardrobe on the other hand, is a small room that is only accessible from your bedroom or ensuite bathroom. They offer the maximum amount of space, and even have room for you to get dressed in and view all your clothes at once, usually without doors.
- Faux Walk In: Offering the same space as a walk in, a faux robe consists of a built-in robe with a shorter wall sitting in front of it, containing more storage and acting as a wall behind the bed from the other side.This offers a separate dressing area, without completely closing the space off, and you can take advantage of additional natural light within the robe space.
Add some Features
Added features are a great way to truly customise your wardrobe to your lifestyle. This can be through accessory holders, mirrors, lighting, the options are almost endless.
- Accessories: Hooks, rungs, railing and small partitioned draws are all excellent ways to store your accessories. For example, if you have a sizable shoe collection, ensure your custom robe can cater for itwith either adjustable shoe shelves or pull out shoe drawers to maximise depth.
- Mirror: Not just for the fashionista, a mirror is an excellent way to ensure you’re looking your best before you step out for the day.It can be either concealed or attached to a door or at the end of a wall to make the room look longer and reflect light.
- Lighting: Whether you’re investing in a built in or walk in robe, lighting is a must! It ensures you can see everything, no matter what time of day you get dressed.
- Seating: For those wanting a walk in robe, seating can be a luxurious addition, with storage drawers below.
Choose a Finish
To ensure your robe suits your home as well as your lifestyle, it’s important to choose a finish that complements the architectural style of your home. This can be done with paint, handles, trim or mouldings – and is especially important if you’re having a built-in wardrobe designed.
- Contemporary: Contemporary finishes often rely on clean lines, polished metals and block colours;including the new non-fingerprint finishes, or timber grain laminates in a huge variety of colourways. Match the colour to your wall colour for a seamless integration that perfectly matches your home.
- Heritage: For a more traditional finish, exposed timber can add a timeless appearance to even the newest of robes. Add mouldings or antique handles accurate to your era for an authentic period look.
- Scandi: Similar to a contemporary finish, Scandi and Hamptons styles rely on block colours, though they favour whites, light greys and soft blues and blacks. Add a pale timber accent to complete the look.
As you can see, creating a beautiful walk in or built in wardrobe comes down to clever design and attractive finishes. By taking the time to think about what you want your robe to accomplish, as well as the style you’re hoping to emulate upon completion, you can create a storage solution that is anything but mundane. The talented team of architects and interior designers at Spaceworks Design have the skills and experience to turn your vision into reality.